Page 6 - OCT RAPNEWS 2016
P. 6

HISTORICAL SITES

            Architectural Drawing by Keith LaCour

  Expansion plans were formed in 1918 for the First National Bank. A ten story office building was designed and the
  ground-breaking ceremony was held on February 28, 1919. The architect was Emile Weil and T. S. Moudy Company,
  Chattanooga, Tennessee, was the contractor. The $750,000 structure, the tallest in Rapides parish for many years to come,
  provided 6,000 square feet of space on the first floor for banking functions. By 1920, the bank’s resources had reached over
  five million dollars. Early in 1921, stockholders voted to change from a national bank charter to a state bank charter. That
  decision meant a new name for the new bank and Guaranty Bank and Trust Company was the name selected.
  The City Savings Bank and Trust Company, originally a sister institution to the First National Bank was absorbed into the new
  Guaranty Bank at the time it as reorganized under a new state charter. Shortly thereafter, the new Guaranty Bank building
  was completed and open for business.

Page 5| Rapides News
   1   2   3   4   5   6   7   8   9   10   11