Page 6 - MAY RN2017
P. 6

Rapides Parish was one of the twelve original parishes created when the Territory of New Orleans was divided in 1805. Records
are not available abut the early courthouse located on a square which was reserved for public use by the town’s founder on
February 1, 2805.

A new courthouse was built in 1859 was destroyed by fire on May 13, 1864 by Federal troops evacuating Alexandria in a retreat
down Red River. Legal records and much of the town was burned to the ground. Hard times delayed a replacement courthouse
until 1873. A parish jail was build in the Lee Street corner in 1899.

The last courthouse on this site, costing $75,000, was occupied until
1904. In 1940 a new, still existing courthouse was built on Murray
Street. The jail was soon demolished and the old deteriorating
courthouse torn down in 1957. The square was later acquired by
McCormick and Co. for the Alexandria Town Talk

Architectural Drawing by Keith LaCour

                      Court House, Alexandria, LA.
                      Postcard from the Dale Genius Collection.

Page 5| Rapides News
   1   2   3   4   5   6   7   8   9   10   11