Page 6 - FEB RAPNEWS 2017
P. 6

HISTORICAL SITES: St Francis Xavier Academy

           Architectural Drawing by Keith LaCour
  St. Francis Xavier Academy, built in 1897, adjacent to the Cathedral, was the
  first school for boys in Alexandria. It was located on Second and Ogden
  Streets and named St. Francis Xavier Commercial College.

                                                                                                St. Francis Xavier Academy c.1897
                                                            In 1903, the school was rebuilt on the corner of Fourth and
                                                            Beauregard Streets and in 1915, the school added a new third floor.
                                                            In 1914, a new school for girls opened in the new building.
                                                            St. Francis Xavier Academy after renovation in 1907

Page 5| Rapides News
   1   2   3   4   5   6   7   8   9   10   11